[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing a vector reduction add instruction.

Cong Hou via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 16 11:23:43 PST 2015

On Fri, Nov 13, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com> wrote:
> Reductions can be implemented in two ways with SIMD
> 1) partial reduction in the loop followed by a full reduction outside the
> loop
> 2) use full SIMD reduction instruction in the loop
>
> Having a way for the vectorizer to express patterns for 2) sounds useful.
>
> The hsum intrinsic proposed by Shahid looks like a full reduction for 'ADD'
> operation. The question is 1) do we need to add new instruction for this? 2)
> do we need to generalize vector reduction to cover other scalar opcodes such
> as min/max etc?
>
> As regards SAD implementation: the IR idiom for SAD involves integer
> promotion/widening, so it seems to me that what is missing is a widening
> diff operation/intrinsic. With that, the SAD pattern can be expressed by
> vectorizor as :
>
> for (... ) {
>    v16i8  v1 = vect_load (...)
>    v16i8  v2 = vect_load (...)
>    v16i16  vdiff = vect_widen_diff(v1, v2)
>    v16i16  vabsdiff = vect_abs(vdiff)
>    i16 ss = vect_hsum(vabsdiff)
>    r += ss
>    ..
> }

I think doing full reduction with hadd is unnecessary in loop: in most
cases it is inefficient than the partial reduction in loop + full
reduction outside of loop. But SSE's SAD and dot-product instructions
do horizontal adds in nature and if we want to combine instructions
into them, we need the information that we are doing reductions. That
is why I am proposing a reduction add IR operation.

Cong