[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing a vector reduction add instruction.

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 13 10:03:44 PST 2015

Reductions can be implemented in two ways with SIMD
1) partial reduction in the loop followed by a full reduction outside the
loop
2) use full SIMD reduction instruction in the loop

Having a way for the vectorizer to express patterns for 2) sounds useful.

The hsum intrinsic proposed by Shahid looks like a full reduction for 'ADD'
operation. The question is 1) do we need to add new instruction for this?
2) do we need to generalize vector reduction to cover other scalar opcodes
such as min/max etc?

As regards SAD implementation: the IR idiom for SAD involves integer
promotion/widening, so it seems to me that what is missing is a widening
diff operation/intrinsic. With that, the SAD pattern can be expressed by
vectorizor as :

   v16i8  v1 = vect_load (...)
   v16i8  v2 = vect_load (...)
   v16i16  vdiff = vect_widen_diff(v1, v2)