[llvm-dev] 回复:Re: How LLVM guarantee the qualify of the product from the limited test suit?

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 9 17:21:15 PST 2015

> On 9 November 2015 at 09:04, via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > After searching the whole project, I only find about ~10000 cases from
> > "llvm/test" for each commit, and a separate testsuit wrote with high level
> > language(i.e. C/C++) to verify the quality and performance. As a general
> > Backend, you know, it must be strong enough to cope with all the IR
> > generated by Frontend. I cannot believe what I see. Did I miss something ?
> Hi,
> You're missing all the Clang, compiler-rt, libc++ tests on their own
> repositories. That'll add a few more tens of thousands of tests into
> the bundle. But that's just the regression / base validation, the
> release has a second stage which is less visible than, I believe, for
> GCC. We also run the test-suite and benchmarks on trunk validation,
> which is something I believe GCC doesn't do, so releases have a lot
> less bugs than GCC to begin with. GCC focus on fixing all bugs at
> release time, while LLVM focus on fixing them as they happen, which is
> much easier and more stable for all developers.
Yes, there are many test cases that we could leverage as LLVM is widely used. However, I am not sure if these cases are part of the release process,as they are not part of this project. Is it that, when LLVM is going to release, we must pass all the regression tests and test-suit to make sure that, the basic functionality and performance is good. Then, release it. Clang/rt and other project would use the new LLVM and report bugs to us if have issues?
The regression test and test-suit is our release criteria, and people would do more tests for us from other projects. Is it right?