[llvm-dev] Question for out of tree targets: Does tour target have a huge number of subregisters and depends on imprecise lanemasks being available?

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 9 16:37:39 PST 2015

Note: If you do not maintain an out-of-tree target with many subregister indexes then you can stop reading now.

The current subregister liveness and register coalescing code uses lane masks to model which parts of a register are live/covered. Lanes are modeled as bits in a 32bit unsigned int. TableGen maps subregister indexes to bits in the lane mask; If there are more disjunct subregisters for a single register class than the lane mask can hold then tablegen maps the remaining subregisters to the highest bit in the lane mask, leading to a graceful degradation with imprecise lanemasks.

These imprecise lanemasks turned out to be tricky when modeling subregister liveness. To my knowledge the only target with that many subregister indexes (disjunct subregisters possible for a single register class) is a single out of tree target that we will change to use less subregister indexes. I plan to declare lane masks as precise and change tablegen to abort if 32 bits are not enough.

This does not affect any in tree targets, the biggest lanemasks there can be found in AMDGPU which still fit in 16bits. If this turns out to be a problem in the future we can easily change the typedef to use an uint64_t.

So is there an out-of-tree target that uses more subregister indexes and fails when the attached patch is applied?

- Matthias