[LLVMdev] How patchpoint intrinsic actually patches?

marwayusuf@feng.bu.edu.eg marwayusuf at feng.BU.edu.eg
Sat May 30 06:24:27 PDT 2015

Dear All

I have some questions about how to use patchpoint intrinsic:

1- The function that is provided as argument to the intrinsic call, where does it belong? I'm making a pass to change a given IR file and add call to patchpoint. Where should I put this function? In the pass or in the same IR file or in another IR and include it or what?

2- When actually this code is patched into the original code and executed? Upon some condition or signal or it's patched by default whenever it's met in code? If it's patched automatically, what is its advantage then?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Marwa Yusuf
Teaching Assistant - Computer Engineering Department
Faculty of Engineering - Benha University
E-JUST MSc Student
Computer Science & Engineering Dept.