[LLVMdev] LLD improvement plan

Tim Northover t.p.northover at gmail.com
Fri May 29 18:48:28 PDT 2015

On 28 May 2015 at 18:25, Nick Kledzik <kledzik at apple.com> wrote:
> For darwin, ELF based .o files is not interesting.  It won’t be faster, and
> it will take a bunch of effort to figure out how to encode all the mach-o
> info into ELF.  We’d rather wait for a new native format.

Practically, you're almost certainly right (in terms of development
costs to a temporary solution). But from a personal level I would much
prefer an ELF-based Darwin to the status quo. I think Darwin suffers
greatly from being based on MachO, which isn't something I could say
about Linux/ELF. There are far too many implicit contracts between
tools.

> We’d rather wait for a new native format.

Assuming a good one comes along.

Tim.