[LLVMdev] LLD improvement plan

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Fri May 29 12:59:53 PDT 2015

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 6:46 AM Rafael Espíndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > 2) I think the ELF camp still thinks that linkers are “dumb”.  That they
> > just collate .o files into executable files.  The darwin linker does a
> lot
> > of processing/optimizing the content (e.g. Objective-C optimizing, dead
> > stripping, function/data re-ordering).  This is why atom level
> granularity
> > is needed.
>
> If there is any linker in here that is dumb that is the old lld.

Rafael, I know you're trying to make a point here, but I think this really
pushes into name calling and putting down of work.

Every project starts off slow and without features. I'm not trying to push
one way or the other on the topic of this thread, I just think you should
take a more charitable tone when describing the existing work that your
colleagues in the open source community have done. Lots of lots of folks
worked really hard on LLD up until now, and I think it is important to be
more respectful of the hard work they put in. Even when things don't work
out, or the code ends up not being as good as we need it to be, I want to
make sure we show appropriate respect for the work that went into it. We
should provide a technical critique, and try to make sure it isn't too
easily misinterpreted as a critique of intentions, etc.

-Chandler