[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] LLVM IRC channel flooded?

Chris Matthews chris.matthews at apple.com
Tue May 19 11:28:17 PDT 2015

When we built green dragon we tried to be really accountable for this sort of cruft, with a goal of 99% useful notifications, or nothing.

On green dragon we curate both which builds notify the IRC and which builds show up on the main page.  Anything that fails for reasons unrelated to the commit is not allowed to do either. We use the phased build approach to make sure we notify only once per failure.  Builds that are red for more than a week are disabled, if we can’t fix it in a week, its not worth building anymore.   Because of that, libcxx builds, LLDB and performance builds do not notify and some are disabled.  When we email the blamelist, I am CCed on every email, and they are not filtered from my inbox.  If the blame list is long, it only emails me, and I track down who broke it.

Of course green dragon only runs a small proportion of the total builds.

If you can’t look at the build page, and know that everything that is red is a real problem, we have a real problem.  Even within builds, if most of the steps are marked as failures, you don’t know what when wrong.