[LLVMdev] Reminder 3.5.2 merge deadline is Monday, Mar 16 - Testers needed

Ben Pope benpope81 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:05:25 PDT 2015

On Friday, March 20, 2015 06:29 AM, Tom Stellard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In the past whenever a -rc was deemed ready for release, I just
> dropped the -rc name from the binaries and used them as the release
> binaries.  This was done to save the hassle of having testers regenerate
> identical binaries using the -final tag.
>
> I'm not sure if this is actually the right thing to do, because I
> know there is a way to include the svn tag in the llvm version
> string (I'm not sure how to do this, but I'm pretty sure I've seen
> this before in bug reports).
>
> How do the testers feel about re-building binaries from the -final
> tag even with the source is identical to -rc*?  Is this something
> we should be doing?

I have no idea how much use the binaries get... Previously when I
compiled for Ubuntu x86_64, but required a newer version of libstdc++,
it took a while for people to complain, and similarly, when I thought
I'd built for 32bit, but was actually requiring 64bit, it took a while
for complaints to come in.  I'd assume the latest Ubuntu LTS on x86
hardware is a fairly popular platform as far as they go.  Having said
that, perhaps there are alternative builds (e.g., on launchpad) that
people prefer, that mean that my builds are used less than say, for some
less popular platform where there are fewer choices of binary builds.

I have no issue recompiling for final, and would recommend it anyway,
but then, a build is pretty quick and not disruptive on my platform.
Perhaps doing an svn switch to the new tag would only require a small
compilation and mostly linking.

Ben