[LLVMdev] [RFC] Raise minimum required CMake version to 3.0

Renato Golin renato.golin at linaro.org
Tue Mar 10 17:34:32 PDT 2015

On 11 Mar 2015 00:22, "Chandler Carruth" <chandlerc at google.com> wrote:
> FWIW, my stance is not that we can't do this, just that it (like
requiring a modern compiler) has a cost that we should consider carefully
before we impose it on folks.

+1

> When we updated the compilers, we aimed for ones that would be installed
on the new LTS ubuntu release at the time of the next release.

There was a bit more than that, with Mac and windows folks agreeing to
other versions, but yes, gcc on Linux because it's the most relevant
platform for gnu tools.

CMake is far easier to deal than gcc, but win/Mac users already have to
download binaries, while Linux users install from package managers. It's
just the way it is and I wouldn't want to force any one out of their way
unless we had an extremely compelling reason to do so.

Cheers,
Renato