[LLVMdev] Enabling the gold linker on freebsd

Aditya Verma aditya.verma.cse12 at iitbhu.ac.in
Mon Jun 22 01:02:02 PDT 2015

I have been trying to enable the gold linker on FreeBSD to use the link
time optimizations. I made gold from the binutils under /usr/ports. After
building binutils using make -k install clean i got ld under /usr/bin and
in the directory /usr/local/bin i got ld, ld.gold and ld.bfd.

Now while trying to use link time optimization for the simple example
programs herehttp://llvm.org/docs/GoldPlugin.html (a.c and b.c under the
heading 'Examples of Link Time Optimization') i entered the four commands
as follows:

clang -flto a.c -c -o a.o
ar q a.a a.o
clang b.c -c -o b.o
clang -flto a.a b.o -o main

I got the following error:

usr/bin/ld: unrecogonized option '-plugin'
usr/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information

Is there the problem with the linker that ld.gold is not being called.
Should I replace the ld with ld.gold? Does the linker looks in the right
directiry for the .so plugins?

The LLVMgold.so and libLTO.so shared objects are in the directory
/usr/local/llvm-devel/lib/. I cannot find the directory where clang is
installed. I am not sure where to make the bfd-plugins directory and add
the symlinks to LLVMgold.so and libLTO.so.

I am using freebsd 10.1 release. How to enable the gold linker for link
time optimizations? also how can I enable it to be the default linker?