[LLVMdev] llvm books

Bruno Cardoso Lopes bruno.cardoso at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 12:42:00 PDT 2015

Hi Renato,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 3:42 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> On 27 July 2015 at 19:28, Bruno Cardoso Lopes <bruno.cardoso at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Let us know if you have examples of that, and we'll pass that up to
>> the editor to fix in further editions.
>
> The cross-compilation chapter has entire identical phrases and the
> general structure is very similar.
>
> Of course, I'd expect any half-decent book to have the official
> documentation as one of the primary sources, but not in a
> paste-then-modify kind.
>
> I was looking for that chapter in particular, given that I wrote the
> original docs on cross-compilations, and I know I didn't do a good job
> at it. I was expecting a more thorough description of the issues,
> system particularities, toolchains you can choose and how, but it
> ended up being as lacking as my original docs, which is a shame,
> really.

I agree that it could have covered more topics and etc, but it was out
of our intended scope.
I double checked in the cross-compilation chapter and I don't find the
general structure similar nor did find identical phrases :-)
We do in fact use the same generic triple used in the docs
to make it easier for the reader to relate the content on the book
with stuff in the official docs.

Thanks for the feedback,

--
Bruno Cardoso Lopes