[LLVMdev] Eliminate stores with __builtin_assume

Tom Aernoudt Tom.Aernoudt at synopsys.com
Fri Jul 3 03:55:54 PDT 2015

Hi all,

Is it possible to use __builtin_assume (or something similar like __builtin_unreachable) to eliminate stores?

Eg I would expect that I if I write something as follows the optimizer could optimize away the store to the variable a:

void foo(int* a)
{
  __builtin_assume(*a == 0);
  *a = 0;
}

But the generated code still writes to the variable:

; Function Attrs: nounwind uwtable
define void @_Z3fooPi(i32* nocapture %a) #0 {
  %1 = load i32, i32* %a, align 4, !tbaa !8
  %2 = icmp eq i32 %1, 0
  tail call void @llvm.assume(i1 %2)
  store i32 0, i32* %a, align 4, !tbaa !8
  ret void
}

00000000000000a0 <_Z3fooPi>:
  a0:   c7 07 00 00 00 00       movl   $0x0,(%rdi)
  a6:   c3                      retq

Why this store not optimized away?
Is there another way to tell the optimizer that the store can be eliminated?

Regards,
Tom