[LLVMdev] Different instruction encodings based on subtarget features

Daniel Sanders Daniel.Sanders at imgtec.com
Fri Jan 30 02:36:03 PST 2015

Hi,

The Mips target is doing this for Mips32r6/Mips64r6 by defining two instructions, one predicated on having a feature, the other on not having it. The instruction selection then picks the right one for the subtarget. CLO and CLO_R6 is a good example. A more complicated example is PseudoReturn, JR, and JALR which is the same general idea but we use a Pseudo and select the real instruction much later.

We also do this on a larger scale for microMIPS but I don't fully understand the details of that code yet.