[LLVMdev] How to contact LLVM admins?

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jan 21 15:10:12 PST 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Greg Fitzgerald <garious at gmail.com> wrote:

> Below is a copy of the email I sent to llvm-admin.  If it is lost in
> the ether, can you reply on this thread?  There's an LLD contributor
> looking to add an ARMv7 backend.  It's a significant contribution so
> I'd like to land the patch under the correct author.
>

> Hi LLVM admins,
>
> I'd like to commit patches on behalf of others, but I'm not
> comfortable simply adding "Patch by <name>" to the log message.  When
> people use "git blame", they will see my name instead of the original
> author.
>
> We can fix this by adding the '--use-log-author' flag anywhere the git
> mirror currently invokes "git svn fetch".  This will cause git-svn to
> look for the text "From: <email>" in the commit message and use it to
> set the Author field in the git commit.  Committers can set the "From:
> <email>" text by hand or by using '--add-author-from' when invoking
> "git svn dcommit".
>
> Could someone please upgrade git-svn to a version supporting this flag
> and update the git mirrors to call "git svn --use-log-author fetch"?

This wouldn't fix any of the historical commits made using the original
pattern, and IMO is no better or worse than the current pattern.

We have had no trouble using "Patch by <name>" as the form of attribution
for a lot of years with contributions from a wide range of companies. So
I'm not really inclined to change a process which leaves the system of
record *exactly* the same (a textual acknowledgement of attribution) and
only makes one mirror of it superficially better.