[LLVMdev] Howdy + GIT

Reid Spencer reid at reactific.com
Thu Jan 15 10:41:26 PST 2015

Hi Phillip,

> On Jan 15, 2015, at 1:28 PM, Philip Reames <listmail at philipreames.com> wrote:
>> Refactor into smaller, separate, reusable libraries
> Not worth it.

The effort is trivial with GIT. It is a couple of commands per extracted piece. There is cruft in the repository like hlvm (mine) and the unfinished java compiler, neither of which have been touched in 7 years. Do we really need to keep that legacy in the main repository or is it better spun off to a separate one? Similarly, stacker, sample, llvm-gcc, and probably several others should be in their own repositories. I think smaller repositories make LLVM seem less formidable and should encourage further adoption and contribution.

>> Sorry if this topic has been covered .. the archives are not searchable (google group, anyone?).
> There are various searchable archives of the mailing list online.  In practice, I find google does a really good job of finding relevant discussion threads.

I find that it doesn’t: searching for “git” in llvm-dev yields 1.8 million results. Trying to sort through the discussions it yields is tedious.