[LLVMdev] debugging opt passed using gdb: could not open input file

Alexander Poddey alexander.poddey at gmx.net
Mon Jan 12 00:14:07 PST 2015

Hi all,

I would like to be able to debug opt passes.
- I compiled llvm in debug mode
- gdb /usr/local/bin/opt
- run opt -load /path/to/LLVMHello.so -hello <any.bc> /dev/null

and then get /usr/local/bin/opt: opt: err: Could not open input file ....

could it be the <> syntax is not gdb command window conform?
I tried to find out if i could provide opt in and out files using standard
parameter (like opt -i or something), but there seems to be none.

So how could I correctly invoke opt in gdb?

Thx
Alex