[LLVMdev] Separating loop nests based on profile information?

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Thu Jan 8 11:37:14 PST 2015

On 01/07/2015 05:33 PM, Chandler Carruth wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 7, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Philip Reames
> <listmail at philipreames.com <mailto:listmail at philipreames.com>> wrote:
>
>     I've been playing with approaches to getting better optimization
>     of loops which contain infrequently executed slow paths.  I've
>     gotten as far as throwing together a proof of concept
>     implementation of a profile guided optimization to separate a
>     single loop with multiple latches into a loop nest, but I want to
>     get feedback from interested parties before investing much more
>     effort.
>
>     The primary case I'm concerned about looks something like this C
>     example:
>     while( some_condition )
>       //do lots of work here
>       if (!some_rare_condition) { <-- This is loop variant
>         helper();
>       }
>     }
>
>     The key point here is that the 'do lots of work' section contains
>     things we could lift out of the loop, but our knowledge of memory
>     gets completely destoryed by the 'helper' call which doesn't get
>     inlined.  This ends up crippling LICM in particular, and GVN to a
>     lessor degree.
>
>     The approach I've been playing with would create this loop structure:
>     goto inner
>     while (true) {
>       outer:
>       helper();
>       inner:
>       while( some_condition )
>         //do lots of work here
>         if (!some_rare_condition) { <-- This is loop variant
>           goto outer;
>         }
>       }
>     }
>
>     (Excuse the psuedo-C.  Hopefully the idea is clear.)
>

> Yep.
>
> I've not thought about this a lot, but I have two initial questions
> that maybe you can answer:
>
> How does this compare with classical approaches of loop peeling,
> partitioning, fission, or whatever you might call it? Is there any
> literature behind this approach or some literature it should be
> compared with? (I genuinely don't know this area that well, so I'm of
> little help here...)
I'm not aware of any literature that covers the specific transform I'm
suggesting here.  This is probably a lack of awareness on my part, not a
lack of literature though.  While I have some basic background in the
area, I can't claim to have made an extensive study of loop optimization
techniques.  *Particularly* profile guided ones.

w.r.t. the tradoffs in practice, I'm going to answer this in a separate
response just to keep this one short.  I've been playing with both
approaches and there appears to be appeal in both.  I'm currently
leaning towards a mixture of both approaches.

> Some of your points I have quick feedback on:
>
>     Points for discussion:
>
>       * Is using profile information for this purpose even a
>         reasonable thing to do?
>
> Yes!
>
>       * I chose to implement this without relying on the existing
>         block frequency analysis. My reasoning was that a) this is a
>         rarely taken case and adding an expensive analysis dependency
>         probably wasn't worthwhile and b) that block frequency
>         analysis was more expensive/precise than I really needed. Is
>         this reasonable?
>
> I think we should always use the analyses. Either BlockFrequency or
> BranchProbability. I think probably both in the common joint usage
> (frequency of the loop header combined with probability of the cold
> region).
Let me ask a basic question: what do BlockFrequency and
BranchProbability compute and roughly what mental cost model should I
have?  Once I have a BlockFrequency, what does it mean?  Some of this is
documented in BlockFrequencyImpl.h, but the high level bits are mostly
missing.  Particularly for BranchProbability.

I chose to write a custom analysis in large part because I didn't
understand the existing analysis and my (possibly completely wrong)
perception is that they're overly precise/expensive for what I need.  I
wanted to focus on the writing the transform since that's the point I
actually wanted to discuss.  :)

>       * If so, is the notion of 'rareness' of a loop block something
>         that's worth extracting out on it's own and reusing? Are there
>         other similar uses anyone can think of?
>       * Currently, I'm only supporting a fairly small set of
>         controlling conditions. Are there important cases I'm not
>         considering?
>
> To both of these, I think the general combination to use is to
> identify the set of blocks dominated by a block which is in the loop
> body of a hot loop, and is cold relative to the other successors of
> its predecessor(s). These form cold "regions" as I think of them
> without requiring the complexity of the region analysis.
I get why you find this a useful mental model, but the transform is far
harder to express this way in the couple of cases I've looked at.  It's
much easier to start with a latch, reason about it's hotness, and then
let the generic loop code construct the cold "region".

Then again, if you were to ask for the set of latches which were
dominated by blocks in the cold-with-hot-predecessors list, that might
be interesting.  But again, I'd really like to start from the latches
since that's what controls the legality/profitability of the transform.
Hm, we could walk back along the dom tree from the latch looking for
such a cwhp block... This might be a better way to think about the
profitability of the transform, even starting from the latch.  Is that
what you were trying to get at to start with?  Or were you looking for
something more general?

>       * Since the rarest latch is often deep in a loop - with other
>         "if (X) continue;" (i.e. latches) before it - this tends to
>         create loops with multiple exiting blocks. Some of the
>         existing passes might not deal with this well, is that a major
>         concern? Suggestions for how to analysis and validate?
>
> I'm somewhat concerned about this, but want to think more about the
> fundamental transformation.
>
>       * Currently, I've structured this as pulling off the rarest
>         latch as an outer iteration. I could also pull off the most
>         popular latch as an inner iteration. This might give different
>         tradeoffs; thoughts?
>
>     Generally, any thoughts anyone have on the problem or approach are
>     welcome. I'm not particular attached to the particular approach
>     laid out here and if there's a more advantageous approach, all the
>     better.
>
> Thanks for pushing on this! ;] Now I need to go and ponder a lot so i
> can reply more deeply on the actual transform.
You're welcome.  :)

This might be an area where it's profitable to talk in person, are you
going to be at the social tonight?

Philip