[LLVMdev] RFC: attribute for a pointer which is dereferenceable xor null

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Thu Feb 12 22:20:05 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

I think this is really only useful if we allowed 'n' to be a runtime value.

> - In Java, any reference is either null or dereferenceable to the
> size of the static type.
> - I suspect this will also be useful for Julia, Go, Rust, and others
> for similar reasons.
>
> With such an attribute available, we can increase the effectiveness
> of LICM. We can't move a load outside a loop if it might introduce a
> fault. Knowing that a pointer is deferefenceable(N) at a location
> (i.e. the loop preheader) allows us to satisfy this constraint. In
> the near term, we can simply add a case in the dereferenceability
> analysis that combines the new attribute and isKnownNonNull. This
> won't be too effective out of the box, but will enable testing with
> llvm.assumes and might catch some cases. I will probably also add a
> case to look at the controlling branch to the loop preheader since
> in practice that tends to be where a unswitched null check would
> live.
>
> Longer term, I plan on introducing a mechanism to have isKnownNonNull
> consider trivially dominating conditions. This will make the
> proposed attribute more powerful, but is explicitly not part of this
> proposal. That's a lot more work and will need a fair amount of
> discussion on its own.
>
> Now, on to possible syntax.
>
> Option 1
> We could simply redefine our current notion of dereferenceable(N) to
> allow the pointer to be null. Since we already have the nonnull
> attribute, this wouldn't loose any expressibility. Frontends would
> need to be modified to emit both dererefenceable(N) and nonnull if
> they want to preserve the same semantics. Most of the existing
> utility functions for dereferenceability in LLVM would be modified
> to just check both. There'd need to by a forward migration added to
> the bytecode parser to enable upgrade from the old semantics to the
> new.
>
> This is my preferred option, but in offline conversation, Hal
> objected to this change. I'll let him describe his objection since I
> was never quite clear on it.

I feel this would be all pain and no gain. We already have the dereferenceable attribute, and a fair about of code now exists which depends on the current semantics. Introducing a silent semantic change now requires, at least, all producers to be updated. Plus it would be confusing; we currently assume that dereferenceable pointers in address-space zero are not null (and optimize based on that). 'dereferenceable' is the terminology we use for that (not 'dereferenceableAndNotNull'), and I don't like the proposed inconsistency with our API. Lastly, it would be inconsistent with its name: a null pointer in address-space zero is not dereferenceable.

> Option 2
> We introduce a new attribute with the desired semantics. This results
> in a collection of confusing overlapping attributes, but is
> otherwise straight forward.
>
> My proposed strawman syntax would be: dereferenceable_or_null(N).
> (Bikeshedding welcomed.) This would be a legal parameter and return
> attribute on both function declarations and call sites (i.e. calls
> and invokes). As with above, we'd extend all the places that
> currently consider 'dereferenceable' to consider the new attribute
> in combination with isKnownNonNull.

Okay; I don't object to this attribute. Just so we're on the same page, what is your use case? Is it like the Java case you mentioned above? Also, I wonder: Are you satisfied with the static size constraint, or do you also want runtime sizes?

 -Hal

> Philip

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist