[LLVMdev] RFC: attribute for a pointer which is dereferenceable xor null

Philip Reames listmail at philipreames.com
Thu Feb 12 09:59:17 PST 2015

I'd like to propose that we add an attribute which expresses the notion
that the specified value is /either/ null or dereferenceable up to a
fixed size. (Note the xor.)  Our current dereferenceable(n) attribute
doesn't quite fit the bill, it implies that the pointer is non-null.
Similarly, our nonnull attribute says nothing about dereferenceability.

There are two syntax proposals below, but let's start with the motivation.

These semantics arise in a number of common cases:
- In C, malloc is defined to either return null, or a dereferenceable
region of the size requested.
- In Java, any reference is either null or dereferenceable to the size
of the static type.
- I suspect this will also be useful for Julia, Go, Rust, and others for
similar reasons.

With such an attribute available, we can increase the effectiveness of
LICM.  We can't move a load outside a loop if it might introduce a
fault.  Knowing that a pointer is deferefenceable(N) at a location (i.e.
the loop preheader) allows us to satisfy this constraint.  In the near
term, we can simply add a case in the dereferenceability analysis that
combines the new attribute and isKnownNonNull.  This won't be too
effective out of the box, but will enable testing with llvm.assumes and
might catch some cases.  I will probably also add a case to look at the
controlling branch to the loop preheader since in practice that tends to
be where a unswitched null check would live.

Longer term, I plan on introducing a mechanism to have isKnownNonNull
consider trivially dominating conditions.  This will make the proposed
attribute more powerful, but is explicitly not part of this proposal.
That's a lot more work and will need a fair amount of discussion on its
own.

Now, on to possible syntax.

*Option 1*
We could simply redefine our current notion of dereferenceable(N) to
allow the pointer to be null.  Since we already have the nonnull
attribute, this wouldn't loose any expressibility.  Frontends would need
to be modified to emit both dererefenceable(N) and nonnull if they want
to preserve the same semantics.  Most of the existing utility functions
for dereferenceability in LLVM would be modified to just check both.
There'd need to by a forward migration added to the bytecode parser to
enable upgrade from the old semantics to the new.

This is my preferred option, but in offline conversation, Hal objected
to this change.  I'll let him describe his objection since I was never
quite clear on it.

*Option 2*
We introduce a new attribute with the desired semantics.  This results
in a collection of confusing overlapping attributes, but is otherwise
straight forward.

My proposed strawman syntax would be: dereferenceable_or_null(N).
(Bikeshedding welcomed.)  This would be a legal parameter and return
attribute on both function declarations and call sites (i.e. calls and
invokes).  As with above, we'd extend all the places that currently
consider 'dereferenceable' to consider the new attribute in combination
with isKnownNonNull.

Philip