[LLVMdev] [lld] Representation of lld::Reference with a fake target

Rui Ueyama ruiu at google.com
Thu Feb 5 13:16:31 PST 2015

Yes, it is always a pain when we have to keep information over the
round-trip conversion from/to Native. Native format is really able to
handle only fields we define to base Atom or Reference and not a subclass
of them. This is, well, hard. This is like a roadblock that is always there
when we do something with Reference. I think this needs fixing.

I once proposed or at least suggested that we remove Native file format
from LLD. I still think that's not a bad idea at all -- no one is using
Native and thus delivers no value currently, but it imposes burden to
developers. This is not a good situation.

If we still want to maintain Native, conversion from/to Native needs to be
easier to support. I can think of a few reasons why supporting Native is
hard.

1. It is not extendable. It only recognizes base classes and not subclasses
of Atom or References.

2. The file format is designed to be mmap()'able, so that you can just mmap
the entire file and cast a struct to read it. It'd be very fast indeed --
but it can't support any optional field or something.

If I would design from scratch, I'd probably use a serializable data
structure like Protocol Buffers or Thrust to represent Atoms and
References, so that all that conversion is automatically done. They are
fast enough and easy to use.

That being said, I think the short term solution for your need is to just
add a new field to Reference.