[LLVMdev] Formatting of command line option help text

Chris Bieneman beanz at apple.com
Wed Feb 4 10:20:00 PST 2015

The LLVM toolchain, and many small LLVM based tools (like clang-format) use libSupport’s cl::ParseCommandLineOptions and related APIs for command line parsing. This results in the behavior you see with llvm-link.

Clang, lld, and some of the other higher level tools use a TableGen driven process implemented in libOption.

So, you get different help formats because the two APIs are completely independent.

-Chris