[LLVMdev] Formatting of command line option help text

Russell Wallace russell.wallace at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 06:53:58 PST 2015

llvm-link and clang both have a -o option with similar meaning, but the
help text describes it differently.

llvm-link describes it as:

-o=<filename>

and clang describes it as

-o <file>

with no '=' between the option and the parameter.

When I try using the command line options library, it comes out the same
way as llvm-link, with no apparent method of getting it to come out the
other way. This might be just a minor cosmetic question, but I've a feeling
it actually points to a significant gap in my understanding of the command
line options library, because when I tried checking the clang source code
for the answer, the only relevant reference I could find was in some
configuration or DSL file whose syntax and function I'm not familiar with.

How exactly is clang getting that effect?