[llvm-dev] Include all the things

Russell Wallace via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 9 08:29:52 PST 2015

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:58 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's really going to hurt your compile time, btw...

Right, though compile time isn't a bottleneck for me; in any case, I've
seen it said that that clang can do precompiled headers, so I was going to
try that.

> if you're interested in building a tool to help here, a tool that uses
> Clang to find and suggest headers to include (or to remove, to keep the
> include set minimal to avoid bloating compile time) would probably be good
> & I know there are some people working on such a thing. But it is more
> work, of course. (& may benefit from/need C++ modules support)

Yeah, there is an 'include what you need' tool. I tried it a month or two
ago, and it didn't quite work, but came impressively close, closer than I
expected.

The second is probably because you're including a header that's only
> conditionally usable, when you have the right 3rd party package installed
> (at least I assume that's the case - Zach?)
>
> Did we actually install that header onto a system without the package
> available? Or are you pointing your build at an LLVM source tree?

I'm on Windows, so package management doesn't apply; I'm using the 3.7.0
source tarball, so probably closer to the latter than the former.