[llvm-dev] RFC: PGO Late instrumentation for LLVM

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 11 12:30:14 PDT 2015

>> The pipeline change is very PGO specific. I expect it has very little
>> impact on regular compilations:
>> 1) LLVM's bottom up inliner is already iterative.
>> 2) The performance impact (on instrumented build) can be 4x large --
>> which is unlikely for any nonPGO pipeline change.
>

> With respect to adding extra passes, I'm actually more concerned about the
> non-instrumented build, for which Rong did not show any data. For example,
> will users find their program is X% faster than no PGO with ("ME") PGO, but
> really (X/2)% of that is due simply to the extra passes, and not any profile
> guidance? We should then prefer to use the extra passes during regular -O3
> builds.

My reply about actually predicts that the pipeline changes is unlikely
to have large positive performance impact for regular non-PGO build.
It would be useful to see that effect (extra passes) -- but instead of
using Rong's untuned new passes, it can be done by forcing at least 2
iterations for CallGraphSCCPass (currently iterate >1 only when
devirtualization happens).

> Conversely, if they find that their program is X% faster with ("ME")
> PGO, but the extra passes are making the program (X/2)% slower, then the
> users could be getting (3X/2)% faster instead.

Pre-cleanup is required for ME-PGO -- but the simple math you
mentioned does not apply. In your case, the (X/2)% slowdown is
required to enable the X% improvement over the original baseline
(without extra passes) -- otherwise only 0% can be materialized
(analogy : retraction and punching).

>I am only concerned about
> having two variables change simultaneously; I think that instrumenting after
> some amount of cleanup has been done makes a lot of sense.
>
> Could Rong's proposal be made to work within the existing pipeline, but
> doing the instrumentation after a subset of the existing pass pipeline has
> been run?

Conceptually it is doable using iterative pass manager (which the
support already exists). With PGO, the inliner needs to be greatly
tuned down to enable only small function inlining though.

David