[LLVMdev] RFC: Machine Level IR text-based serialization format

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Tue Apr 28 13:04:38 PDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Alex L <arphaman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Initially I was thinking about developing a text-based format that's not
> based on YAML, but is closer in spirit to the LLVM IR. However, I found
> that a structured format like YAML lends itself quite well to the machine
> level IR. At the same time the instructions themselves don't work that
> well
> with YAML, thus I decided on this hybrid approach. Therefore I don't
> think that instructions should be in YAML, as they would just get too
> verbose.
>
> I understand that a non YAML format has its own advantages and may be
> preferred by the majority. If the community decides that another format is
> better,
> I would be happy to work on that.

I think the YAML hybrid makes a sort of sense.

The instructions need to be dense in order to keep the format readable.

Machine functions and basicblocks have loads of side table data
(MachineModuleInfo, MachineFunctionInfo, the target-specific info, etc)
that needs to be serialized in order to write interesting tests. Therefore,
it's better use an easily extensible format for them.