[LLVMdev] Barking Up The Wrong Tree?

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Tue Sep 30 10:41:18 PDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 9:06 AM, Eric Mader <emader at gmx.us> wrote:

> On 9/29/14, 5:51 PM, Reid Kleckner wrote:
>
>  I think any port will involve some changes, but it's really hard to say
> which porting approach will be the least painless beforehand. Aside from
> _MSC_VER incompatibilities messing up portability headers, I think any
> changes you make to support clang on Windows you would also have to do in
> order to use MSVC. MinGW is another possible compiler, but then you're
> porting to gcc, which is a different amount of work.
>
> One of the things I'm hoping to gain from this approach is the ability to
> directly compile Objective-C code. I'll try that today and see what
> happens. I'm also hoping that Objective-C mixed in with C++ will work, but
> perhaps _MSC_VER will mean that won't work?

I don't think this will work, unfortunately. My understanding is that Obj-C
requires a fair amount of header and runtime support that won't be
available on Windows. There's no implementation of NSString, for example.

>   I got it worked out by copying the x86 toolset files by hand. I don't
> know why the installer, or install.bat couldn't write them - install.bat
> finished without any error messages.

It would be good to run that down at some point. We've had multiple reports
of missing toolsets because our XML files didn't manage to appear in quite
the right spots.