[LLVMdev] proposal to avoid zlib dependency.

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Thu Sep 18 03:03:54 PDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 2:58 AM, Mueller-Roemer, Johannes Sebastian <
Johannes.Sebastian.Mueller-Roemer at igd.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> There is still one reason this should NOT be done:
>

> If some other library which uses LLVM wants to use zlib (either the system
> version or one built by hand) we will have linker issues with multiple
> definition, as LLVM only works with static libraries on Windows. Unless
> LLVM uses a custom prefix for its internal ZLib, which would “only” lead to
> more binary bloat.

If we do this at all, we would clearly have to use an LLVM-specific name
for any functions / routines / etc.

While this might be extraneous space in the binary, compared to even the
smallest part of LLVM, I suspect it would be lost in the noise.