[LLVMdev] RFC: Timeline for deprecating the autoconf build system?

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 16:19:22 PDT 2014

On Fri Oct 31 2014 at 3:11:22 PM Tom Stellard <tom at stellard.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose deprecating the autoconf build system at some
> point in the future.  Maintaining two build systems is a hassle not
> only for this project, but also for other projects that use LLVM
> and have to deal with the slight differences in output between the two
> build systems.
>
> It seems like most people are using CMake at this point, so my questions
> to the community are:
>
> - Is there any technical reason why the remaining autoconf users can't
> switch
>   to CMake?

I think Bob was the lead on keeping the autoconf system last year when this
came up, there is a PR somewhere in the system about the blocking things
that need to work in cmake to get it to happen. I don't know where we are
on that list or what features people still need.

Personally I still use the autoconf system, but am willing to remove it if
we can get to a single system, but all of the requirements need to be
handled first.

-eric