[LLVMdev] RFC: Timeline for deprecating the autoconf build system?

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Fri Oct 31 15:08:21 PDT 2014

Hi,

I would like to propose deprecating the autoconf build system at some
point in the future.  Maintaining two build systems is a hassle not
only for this project, but also for other projects that use LLVM
and have to deal with the slight differences in output between the two
build systems.

It seems like most people are using CMake at this point, so my questions
to the community are:

- Is there any technical reason why the remaining autoconf users can't switch
  to CMake?

For example, I personally use automake, and the only reason I don't
use CMake is because it doesn't produce a single shared object
(e.g. libLLVM-3.6.0svn.so).

- What is a reasonable timeframe to allow the remaining autoconf users
  a chance to migrate to CMake?

Thanks,
Tom