[LLVMdev] Master thesis

Aditya Avinash adityaavinash1 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 18:19:42 PST 2014

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 5:45 AM, Karl Hylén <karl.hylen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a MSc student interested in high-performance computing. This spring I
> will write my master thesis, and would like to work on code transformation
> in LLVM.

I am a Masters student. What kind of transformation you would like to do?
As in CPU to GPU code transformation or GPU higher level to lower level or
creating a new language or new backend for language or focusing on creating
better algorithms for parallel compilation. Where does your interest lie?
And, If you have only one semester master's thesis, it's really hard to
make significant research. It takes atleast 3 months to get to the good
stuff (assuming you have other courses to do).

> I imagine that the community knows what might a good project, so I thought
> I'd ask you.

If you are looking for a project, applying through GSOC 2015 would be good.
(Can be used for thesis)

> I would like to work on a project that could be
>
>    - of value for the LLVM project
>
> Decent patches can do (you can use these in thesis).

>    - of research value
>
> Assuming you are focusing on parallelizing compilers, this is the topic
where lots of research is done. But, we are unable to decrease the gap
between hand written and compiler parallelized code (some times performance
gets degraded by trying to parallelize from serial code).

> Thanks in advance,
> Karl Hylén

Finally what I want to say is, the time you got is not sufficient. If you
are looking for research (writing papers), start reading papers on
compilers. I have seen lots of people in this mailing list who have done
amazing research work on compilers (Chris Lattners team at Apple). What I
found is that, they implemented ideas using LLVM. You need to find a piece
which you want to solve and use LLVM as a tool.

Thank you!!!

Regards,

*Aditya Atluri,*

*USA.*