[LLVMdev] Using the unused "version" field in the bitcode wrapper (redux)

Sean Silva chisophugis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 17:30:05 PST 2014

On Tue, Nov 4, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Chris Lattner <clattner at apple.com> wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2014, at 7:04 AM, Robinson, Paul <
> Paul_Robinson at playstation.sony.com> wrote:
>
> >> From: llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu [mailto:llvmdev-bounces at cs.uiuc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Sean Silva
> >>
> >> You haven't established that you really need this. AFAIK Apple's linker
> >> doesn't need this version information and they have shipped LTO for a
> >> while now.
> >
> > Does Apple support library/middleware providers shipping bitcode instead
> > of object code?
>
> No.

Are there ever any plans to do so?
(this question also goes out to every other vendor that is shipping an LTO
toolchain or plans to. Chad?)

I'm just trying to figure out how much of a Sony-specific issue this is.
Our customers are very performance-hungry and so we would like to provide
the option to middleware vendors (e.g. a physics library). If there is a
strong general desire in the community to not support this use case, we
will want to factor this into our internal decisions.

-- Sean Silva