[LLVMdev] Changing the design of GlobalAliases to represent what is actually possible in object files.

Rafael EspĂ­ndola rafael.espindola at gmail.com
Mon May 26 15:25:03 PDT 2014

> Judging from what I have seen so far I would be OK with
>
> * Supporting only symbol + offset and representing that directly.
> * Supporting "any" ConstantExpr.

Most of the uses of getAliasee were (or are) bugs and missing
features. With those out of the way, the tradeoff of the above options
becomes having the ability to represent any symbol value that the
assembler can at the cost of far weaker checking for the expressions
defining the global alias.

I reported the most annoying IR X object file mismatch as pr19848.
Since it is present in both representation we can handle it after
this.

The attached patches are on top of the patch I emailed for pr19844.

Is everyone sufficiently satisfied with this direction? Can I resend
the patches to llvm-commits  and cfe-commits?

Cheers,
Rafael