[LLVMdev] [RFC] Section Declarations in LLVM IR

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Tue May 6 10:49:47 PDT 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Rafael EspĂ­ndola <
rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5 May 2014 16:52, David Majnemer <david.majnemer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a heads up, I'm planning on sending patches for this soon.
>
> Awesome. I think I fixed all the blocking MC issues and I am now
> coding pr10367, so we should have all the parts in place for windows
> rtti soon :-)

Nice!

> My current idea for global alias is to split GlobalValue into
> GlobalName (or GlobalAddress?) and GlobalValue. GlobalAlias would
> inherit from GlobalName and not have a alignment or section of its
> own. With that than it becomes easy to say that a GlobalAlias is just
> an offset into a GlobalValue with some different information (linkage,
> visibility, etc).

I'm worried that optimizations won't know about the offset portion of an
alias.  Do you think it's worth having something like a GlobalOffset that
is equivalent to an alias with an offset?  If we add an offset to
GlobalAlias, most optimizations won't know about it and will have bugs.  On
the other hand, it's nice to have fewer IL constructs.