[LLVMdev] [lld] Subclassing LayoutPass

Rui Ueyama ruiu at google.com
Thu Mar 27 11:24:17 PDT 2014

Existing reference kinds, namly layout-before (until it's removed),
layout-after and in-group, have clear semantics that is already implemented
in the layout pass. For example, hen you create a reference from atom A to
B with a layout-after reference, B will be always placed after A. Allowing
users to redefine such basic relationship is more confusing than good. It's
like redefining an operator, so caution needed.

Do you have any immediate need to subclass it? Because we have the entire
codebase, we can add such abstraction when we need it, so doing it
beforehand for future possible use tend to be overdesigning stuff.