[LLVMdev] Be Careful with Positionally-Encoded Operands (AArch64, Mips, AMDGPU, etc.)

Tim Northover t.p.northover at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 02:06:49 PDT 2014

Hi Hal,

This sounds like a really good idea in general, but...

>  let noNamedPositionallyEncodedOperands = 1;

The diagnostics produced are pretty atrocious (an assertion failure
without even mentioning which instruction is the problem). I couldn't
in good conscience recommend anyone try it in its present state if
there are more than 1-2 problems.

> I'd like those maintaining the current backends (especially AArch64,
> Mips, AMDGPU, which I know to be problematic in this regard) to try
> setting this and: a) fix those definitions that are problematic or b) explain
> to me that the current behavior is useful.

I've looked into the SMULH/UMULH case (which appears to be the only
issue in AArch64). It wasn't intended, but was also harmless.
Fortunately it can be removed fairly easily so I've done that and
enabled the flag in r203772.

Cheers.

Tim.