[LLVMdev] Python version requirement for LLVM

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Fri Jun 27 10:45:15 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at google.com> wrote:

> I suppose this could help in the general case, but it's not really a
> problem relevant to LLVM developers, is it? We're talking about people who
> manage to build LLVM from source. This is significantly more complex than
> building Python. Also, building Python without installing it is also
> trivial - you just run the executable from wherever it was built and it
> knows to find its libraries.

I really want to make LLVM easier to build and test, not harder.  The
C++11-pocalypse has been pretty hard on people.  We tried to put together
instructions for building and installing gcc 4.8 locally (not into /usr),
and users were still confused.  Python 2.7 would add one more thing.

I'm comfortable with the status quo of leaving 2.5 as the baseline for old
tools (lit) and allowing 2.7 for new or infrequently used tools
(clang-tidy-diff.py, sort_includes.py).