[LLVMdev] Python version requirement for LLVM

Eli Bendersky eliben at google.com
Thu Jun 26 16:10:03 PDT 2014

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Gregory Szorc <gregory.szorc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 6/26/14, 8:22 AM, Eli Bendersky wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 5:52 PM, Gregory Szorc <gregory.szorc at gmail.com
>> <mailto:gregory.szorc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     As much as I like killing support for Python 2.6 and below, RHEL is
>>     usually the blocker. They still have 2.4 under support. Only the
>>     RHEL that was released a few weeks ago finally has 2.7.
>>

>> Given the amount of complexity required to build LLVM & Clang (having
>> the right compiler & libstdc++ installed), compared to the 3 minutes it
>> typically takes to install any Python version on any Linux box, these
>> limitations always strike me as silly. But I gave up on this fight some
>> time ago.
>>

> I got slashdotted arguing the same [1][2] :) I really wish the Python
> Project officially distributed a (statically linked) CPython distribution
> suitable for userland install via merely unarchiving. That would go a long
> way towards silencing the valid "I don't have permissions" and "I can't
> compile it" complaints.

I suppose this could help in the general case, but it's not really a
problem relevant to LLVM developers, is it? We're talking about people who
manage to build LLVM from source. This is significantly more complex than
building Python. Also, building Python without installing it is also
trivial - you just run the executable from wherever it was built and it
knows to find its libraries.

Eli