[LLVMdev] does ENABLE_COVERAGE work?

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 16:37:03 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM, John Regehr <regehr at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to see what parts of LLVM/Clang are being executed.
>
> I know that "make ENABLE_COVERAGE=1" used to just work, but so far (on
> 64-bit Ubuntu 14.04) I've had no luck building either 3.4.x or SVN head
> using any of Clang 3.4, Clang head, or a recent GCC.
>
> The first error that I get when building with GCC is this:
>
> /home/regehr/tmp/llvm/utils/FileCheck/FileCheck.cpp:1304: error: undefined
> reference to '__gcov_init'
>
> The first error that I get when building with Clang 3.4.2 is this:
>
> /home/regehr/tmp/llvm/build/utils/FileCheck/Debug+Coverage+Asserts/FileCheck.o:/home/regehr/tmp/llvm/utils/FileCheck/FileCheck.cpp:function
> __llvm_gcov_writeout: error: undefined reference to 'llvm_gcda_start_file'
>
> Is this expected to work?  Am I missing something obvious?

Yes, and no. :)

I fixed at least the linking problem here:

Committing to https://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk ...
M Makefile.rules
Committed r211131

The build is still going on so I can't test whether or not the
instrumented code is actually producing gcov notes, but it is taking
forever to run clang when building compiler-rt ;)

-eric