[LLVMdev] Looking for a fix to memory leak in DWARF support

Eric Christopher echristo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:00:28 PDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 11:03 AM, Sergei Larin <slarin at codeaurora.org> wrote:

> David,
>
> Thanks for the quick response...
>

> No, at this point I am just getting into the issue... I assume it is a leak, but no clear proof yet. I was hoping it was an obvious thing since I recall a discussion about it a while ago... but maybe I am just confused.
>
> Was your work for compressing DWARF data  motivated by a certain inefficiency in debug info representation? Did it result in significant savings?

The compression isn't related to the IR level and some data is here on
that compressing:

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/DebugFission

The internal representation and code have change significantly since
then and there's no real way to help much. It may be a memory leak,
but I don't recall one that bad back then. How is your customer
compiling? LTO? Something else?

-eric