[LLVMdev] Some question about the llvm.dbg

Keno Fischer kfischer at college.harvard.edu
Thu Jun 5 07:55:38 PDT 2014

Hello everybody,

I'm working on adding debug info support for julia and have a few questions
about the llvm.dbg intrinsics. Sorry if this is a little long. If any of
the things I'm asking about aren't currently possible in LLVM, I'd be more
than happy to work on them, if I can get some advice on the general
direction (e.g. can everything be retrofitted onto the existing intrinsics
or do I need new ones, etc.)

My first question is as follows. Consider the following llvm IR (exerted
from a Julia try/catch block)

  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata !{%jl_value_t* %16}, i64 0, metadata
!19)
  %17 = getelementptr %jl_value_t** %1, i64 1, !dbg !15
  %18 = load %jl_value_t** %17, !dbg !15
  call void @llvm.dbg.value(metadata !{%jl_value_t* %18}, i64 0, metadata
!20)
  store i1 false, i1* %"#s55", !dbg !21
  %19 = getelementptr i8* %14, i64 0, !dbg !21
  call void @jl_enter_handler(i8* %19), !dbg !21
  %20 = call i32 @sigsetjmp(i8* %19, i32 0), !dbg !21
  %21 = icmp eq i32 %20, 0, !dbg !21
  br i1 %21, label %try, label %L, !dbg !21

try:                                              ; preds = %top
  call void inttoptr (i64 4295956000 to void ()*)(), !dbg !22
  %22 = getelementptr %jl_value_t** %4, i64 1, !dbg !22
  store %jl_value_t* %18, %jl_value_t** %22, !dbg !22
  call void @llvm.dbg.declare(metadata !{%jl_value_t** %22}, metadata !20)

The generated corresponding DWARF info is (corresponding to !20):

                     AT_location( 0x0000005f
                        0x00000001142f4000 - 0x00000001142f40b2: rsi
                        0x00000001142f40b2 - 0x00000001142f40c3: rsp+104
                        0x00000001142f4115 - 0x00000001142f4153: rax
                        0x00000001142f4153 - 0x00000001142f4155: rsp+56 )

Now 0x00000001142f40c3 is the location of the `call void
@jl_enter_handler(i8* %19)`. So there's a gap in the debug info from there
until the next declare. I would like to understand why this is the case and
what to do about it (note that %18 is still used later, so it's not the
case that it goes out of scope, the stack location is still valid).

My second question is about variables that live at multiple locations. The
DWARF standard supports overlapping address ranges and in Julia a variable
might be in several locations at once and I'd love to just be able to
declare them all and have llvm figure out the appropriate ranges. Some
examples of where the variable might live are:

- In the argument array passed to a function (for certain functions we pass
an array
of boxed pointers on the stack)
- In a GC slot
- Loaded into registers

Sometimes these overlap, so I feel like I ought to just put all of that
information into the debug info and have the debugger figure it out. Is
there anyway to declare overlapping ranges?

My third question is related to the argument array. In particular, it
should be always possible for the debugger to find out where the argument
array is by looking at the gc frame of the calling function and then taking
an appropriate offset. I realize this is probably very fancy, but it seems
to me that it should be possible to encode this into a DWARF expression and
have it just work in the debugger. I'm not sure it is feasible to express
this directly using LLVM intrinsics, but it should be fairly
straightforward to write myself. Do the necessary hooks exist in LLVM to do
something like this (ideally llvm would determine the appropriate address
ranges and I'd just provide the single location information a a DWARF
expression). If this capability doesn't exist yet, I'd appreciate some
pointer about where to add it.

Thanks for reading and I apologize that this has gotten so long. At some
point I might have to move some of the more fancy functionality to the
custom debugger, side but I'd prefer to encode as much as possible directly
into DWARF, so I want to see how far I can get just with that.

Thanks,
Keno