[LLVMdev] PassRegistry thread safety and ManagedStatic interaction

Zachary Turner zturner at google.com
Mon Jun 2 09:39:17 PDT 2014

I actually had an idea about how to fix this in a relatively painless
manner.  Although given my experience over the past 4 days, it might not be
best to call it painless without first trying :)

The idea is to make a StaticPassRegistry.  RegisterPass<> only touches the
StaticPassRegistry, and nothing else touches the StaticPassRegistry.  So
once you enter main(), StaticPassRegistry can be considered immutable.  In
main(), the existing PassRegistry initializes itself from the
StaticPassRegistry.  This *should* solve all the problems, the only trick
is finding every executable that uses the PassRegistry.

it's times like this I wish we have an LLVMInitialize() function which
every executable using LLVM is required to call early in main().