[LLVMdev] Usability of phabricator review threads for non-phab-users

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jul 9 14:20:35 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:

> Here's an example of a use case that would be nice to fix:
>
> http://reviews.llvm.org/D4425
>
> It's possible this has already been pointed out earlier in the thread.
>  The situation was, I forgot to include lldb-commits on the original patch,
> and then added it subsequently.  I could not find any way to get it to send
> out a new email containing the full patch + summary, so as a result I had
> to manually copy/paste the summary + patch text into an email response, and
> manually attach the patch as a file.

First, I think this is a great way to mitigate issues by taking the time to
flesh out the email thread when it doesn't get the right information on it.

Second, I've done this about 8 times now and found a (potentially) better
way of fixing it: abandon the review in phabricator, and create a new
review with the mailing list CC'ed. The result of this is:

1) The mailing list get's a fresh email with the right base information and
patch file attached.
2) Any specific reviewers CC'ed on the first review will get two emails,
but hopefully that's not too onerous.
2b) If you keep the subject exactly the same, then some mail readers will
(perhaps incorrectly, but usefully here) fold this into a single email
thread.

Hope that helps folks out when compensating for human errors here that
result in bad behavior of the tools.
-Chandler