[LLVMdev] Usability of phabricator review threads for non-phab-users

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Wed Jul 9 14:14:00 PDT 2014

On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 7:42 PM, Nick Lewycky <nicholas at mxc.ca> wrote:

> Chandler Carruth wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 11:00 PM, Nick Lewycky <nicholas at mxc.ca
>> <mailto:nicholas at mxc.ca>> wrote:
>>
>>     I don't like the lack attached patch files on the mailing list to do
>>     a normal review.
>>

>> Wait what? The emails I get from phab *have* an attached patch file.
>> That was a hard requirement when we first set up Phabricator.
>>

> Aaron nailed it. The initial emails come with attached patches. The
> problem is when people comment with the changes they made to the code, but
> there's no updated patch attached to that email. Aaron found examples so
> I'll defer to those. I can also keep an eye out for the next time it
> happens if you want.

Manuel is planning to look into this but is on vacation so I just wanted to
follow up with a concrete suggestion:

If you are using Phabricator (which I still think is very useful), I think
it is important to actively look at the mailing list results. If you meant
to update the patch and the email didn't have one attached, reply to the
email with an attachment of the updated patch for folks to use.

While I'm looking forward to improvements that fix these issues, I still
find Phab very helpful as-is and just plan to observe and manually correct
any bad behavior on the email thread as that is (and should always be) the
canonical review log.