[LLVMdev] More than one buildbots per box

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 02:28:55 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 9:58 AM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've got a 4-core machine which I want to use for more than one
> buildbot, but I'm not sure how it would behave.
>
> For example, I can see on slaves.py:
>
> create_slave("gribozavr1", properties={'jobs': 8}, max_builds=1),
>
> That slave has three bots:
>
> clang-x86_64-debian-fast, llvm-clang-lld-x86_64-debian-fast,
> lldb-x86_64-debian-clang
>
> Does that mean that *any* one of the three can start at any time but
> only one can run at a time? So, for example, clang-x86 could run three
> times before lldb had the change to trigger?

I think there is a queue of builds scheduled for a slave.  So after a
commit three builds are added to the queue, then one of them starts.
If a commit comes while the queue is still non-empty, then all those
builds are also added to the queue.  But then the build ends, and the
bot picks the first scheduled build from the queue; instead of
executing it at the specified revision, it will coalesce all builds
scheduled for that bot and just execute the latest one.

I think this is how it works, I could be wrong, though.

Dmitri