[LLVMdev] New -O3 Performance tester - Use hardware to get reliable numbers

David Tweed david.tweed at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 08:50:46 PST 2014

Hi Diego,

I think what Sean was saying was to collect (filter) only commits that
_do_ touch the tests subtree. The git example is saying that, in a
time period when there were 706, there were only 317 that touched
tests and hence need checking (hence the comment about doubling).
("Filter" is annoyingly ambiguous verb in English because it can mean
either that you're keeping the things stopped by the filter, or that
you're throwing away things stopped by the filter. I could never
remember which one Haskell's filter function did and always had to
look it up.)

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo at google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't this also catch commits to code generation that added tests as
>>> well?
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean or how it would affect what I'm saying. Any
>> commit that affects code generation should include a test (there may be some
>> rare exceptions, but this is the general rule).
>
> If you pruned the commits that include directory ./test, won't that
> prune the associated codegen patch as well? This would cause coverage
> loss for the tester.
>
> Or maybe I just did not understand what you were proposing :)
>

> Diego.

cheers, dave tweed__________________________
high-performance computing and machine vision expert: david.tweed at gmail.com
"while having code so boring anyone can maintain it, use Python." --
attempted insult seen on slashdot