[LLVMdev] [cfe-dev] AArch64 Clang CLI interface proposal

Bernie Ogden bogden at arm.com
Thu Jan 9 01:29:07 PST 2014

I think that this works (and adds no appreciable driver complexity) provided
that we're not expecting to support -mtune. If clang is (one day) going to
be able to isel based on one target and optimize based on another then we
might find ourselves wanting to change the meaning of -march from 'isel and
optimize' to 'isel only'. So Amara's question about -mtune (or more
generally, do we want to be able to separate isel and optimization) seems
quite relevant.

This also only gives one-way compatibility, which seems good enough for
selfish clang purposes. As Renato pointed out, that may be the wrong
attitude. Should we try to engage the GCC community here?