[LLVMdev] Build-bot host compiler upgrades and C++11!

"C. Bergström" cbergstrom at pathscale.com
Tue Jan 7 02:11:19 PST 2014

On 01/ 7/14 04:47 PM, Tobias Grosser wrote:
> On 01/07/2014 10:40 AM, Chandler Carruth wrote:
>> Greetings, starting a new thread and CC-ing all the folks I could
>> think of
>> that are likely running bots for LLVM. If I've missed any, sorry, please
>> add them.
>>
>> As lots of folks have been mentioning, it's time to switch LLVM (and
>> most
>> subprojects) to use C++11. The first step is establishing a new
>> baseline of
>> compiler versions that are supported[1]:
>>
>> MSVC 2012
>> GCC 4.7
>> Clang 3.1
>>
>> If you are helping to keep our build bot infrastructure running and
>> up-to-date, please check the host compiler versions and reply here if
>> you're going to have trouble upgrading. My rough plan based on chatting
>> with some folks is to submit checks to cmake and configure on Monday to
>> produce an error on older toolchains without some flag to force old
>> toolchain support.
I'd only ask that you 1) either by default it doesn't error on unknown
compiler and or 2) there's an override to prevent the "check" from
happening at all (or not causing cmake to fail)
---------
This will allow compilers which are compatible, but not in the specific
list above to keep working without issues.

I don't know how easy it would be to test for it, but you may also want
to create a documented policy on minimum libc++ and libstdc++ versions
which are supported. Since clang 3.1 may be on a system which has some
older/newer version and that could impact the c++11 support as well.