[LLVMdev] [RFC] Requiring python 2.6

Dan Liew dan at su-root.co.uk
Fri Dec 12 12:23:42 PST 2014

> Well, on the other hand it would be good to avoid unnecessary hurdles
> for casual users to start getting involved in LLVM development, maybe
> even only simply to run the test suite (e.g. to help track down an
> issue occurring only a machine the main developers don't have ready
> access to).

Well there is an alternative. ``lit`` is available as a stand-alone
application via pypi at [1]
so what we could do is upgrade lit in the SVN repo to only support
Python >= 2.7 and note somewhere in the docs that
to use the old lit that works with python 2.6 they can do

$ pip install lit==0.4.1
$ lit -vs test/

This may eventually break if lit changes too much in SVN.

> However, I'm no Python expert and don't fully understand what benefits
> the availability of version 2.7 brings over 2.6.  In the end it's a
> judgement call, which I don't have a firm opinion on ...

There's a list here [2].

[1] https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lit
[2] https://docs.python.org/2.7/whatsnew/2.7.html

Thanks,