[LLVMdev] [RFC] Requiring python 2.6

Ulrich Weigand Ulrich.Weigand at de.ibm.com
Fri Dec 12 09:22:25 PST 2014

Rafael EspĂ­ndola <rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote on 12.12.2014 17:50:06:

> > The bot runs on a SLES 11 machine, which has Python 2.6.9.
> >
> > I guess I could install an private version, but on the other hand,
> > SLES 11 is still in wide-spread use (we use it e.g. on one of the
> > main servers used for Power LLVM development ...).
>
> So, I think Dan Liew's point is very relevant in here. This is a
> testing tool. It is a reasonable expectation that anyone wanting to
> develop llvm should be able to install python 2.7, no?

Well, on the other hand it would be good to avoid unnecessary hurdles
for casual users to start getting involved in LLVM development, maybe
even only simply to run the test suite (e.g. to help track down an
issue occurring only a machine the main developers don't have ready
access to).

However, I'm no Python expert and don't fully understand what benefits
the availability of version 2.7 brings over 2.6.  In the end it's a
judgement call, which I don't have a firm opinion on ...

Bye,
Ulrich